CUNY IT Support Assistant (Provisional) - Client and Network Assistance (2 positions) in Bronx, New York
Job Title: IT Support Assistant (Provisional) - Client and Network Assistance (2 positions)
Job ID: 20557
Location: Bronx Community College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
I.T. Support Assistants support routine operations and problem resolution of computing and/or communications functions at a College or Unit. They work in technical support, applications development, operations, help desk, and similar environments, as well as in the field where equipment may be located.
Work tasks include as:
-Operating, transporting, adjusting, and installing/configuring computing and related equipment
-Communicating with technology users and staff to understand, identify, document and resolve problems
-Performing simple repairs to computing and related equipment.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
IT Support Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Since 1957, Bronx Community College of the City University of New York (BCC) has been building on its vision to graduate students who are prepared to live within, profit from, and contribute to a 21st century global environment marked by diversity, change, and expanded opportunities for learning and growth. Located on a 43 acre, tree-lined campus in the University Heights section of the Bronx, BCC offers more than 30 academic programs that prepare students for careers and to continue their education at four year colleges.
Under general supervision the IT Support Assistant serves as a technical and network administrator to the manager of the area. Areas of technology include: Identity Management, Server and Application deployment, Service Delivery, and Operating System expertise.
Additional areas of responsibility and coordination:
Troubleshoots, installs, maintains, tests and services repair needs on designated equipment, either in person or over the phone with the clients.
Maintains service tickets for prior service history and current service needs to ensure all service technicians are fully prepared to make customer contact and provide outstanding service resolution
- Assists in the configuration and installation of computing devices of all types, including servers computers, microcomputers, and personal computing devices as well as communications technology, including telephones and equipment, and communications network equipment.
- As directed, makes minor adjustments and implements routine technical updates to hardware and software (including networks, operating systems, applications software, web pages, and data tables).
- Assists with data storage operations. Transfers data from one medium/format to another. Performs routine backup and recovery tasks. Transports and/or transmits designated data in any format to other locations as directed.
- Performs onsite problem diagnosis and troubleshooting on customer premises.
- Collaborates with other IT areas and units; responds to all communications in a timely manner.
- Performs related duties as identified that support the mission and vision of the campus in tandem with the office of Information Technology mission.
High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
Eighteen months of related full-time work experience or equivalent, such as completion of eighteen college credits in Information Technology
Demonstrated English Language proficiency
A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
- Vendor certifications from either CompTIA A+, Microsoft, Apple and/or VMware
- Strong communication skills; excellent telephone manner; strong English and grammar skills
- Strong organizational skills; detail oriented and accurate
- Experience/Knowledge of basic network, web and application delivery systems such as SCCM, Altiris and Casper Suite
- Experience/Knowledge of troubleshooting, installation, maintenance of network and mobile operating systems
- Knowledge and deployment of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- Good understanding of Service Delivery and ITIL concepts
- Demonstrates good understanding of OS concepts (both Windows, Apple and UNIX based), device driver installation and troubleshooting driver and client networking related issues
New Hire: $35,964*
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: Select “Employment”, then select “Search Job Postings” and find JOB ID #20557. Please attach resume and cover letter. References on request. Please do not include any other documentation.
For general assistance with your CUNYfirst application, please go to http://www.cuny.edu/employment/jobsysteminstructions.html for information.
Resumes will be reviewed beginning May 27, 2019 and continue until all open positions are filled.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.