CUNY Senior College Laboratory Technician - Biological Sciences in Bronx, New York
Job Title: Senior College Laboratory Technician - Biological Sciences
Job ID: 20525
Location: Lehman College
Performs supervisory and/or complex technical functions in laboratories in support of coursework.
-Manages College Laboratory Technicians, College Assistants, and other laboratory staff
-Maintains, fabricates, modifies, and repairs equipment
-Determines equipment requirements, prepares purchase specifications and coordinates acquisitions
-Manages set up, maintenance, and organization of student laboratories
-Maintains safety and hygiene standards
-Performs related duties as assigned.
Senior College Laboratory Technician
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Under direction of the Chair of the Department of Biological Sciences at Lehman College, the Senior College Laboratory Technician (CLT) will perform the following:
• Prepare all necessary biological samples (preserved or living), reagents, solutions, apparatus, demonstrations, and other materials for use in assigned labs and Departmental facilities.
• Operate, maintain, repair, and clean equipment and accessories used in assigned labs and Departmental facilities.
• Maintain a clean, orderly, and functional laboratory for use in assigned labs and Departmental facilities.
• Supervise and instruct technicians, research students, and faculty on the proper use of equipment.
• Supervise and train College Laboratory Technicians, College Assistants, and other laboratory staff as assigned.
• Attend instructional seminars and workshops regarding assigned laboratory duties.
• Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all lab equipment, instruments, and accessories.
• Order materials for assigned labs and programs; assist in the acquisition and maintenance of the chemical and equipment inventory.
• Work independently, as well as in a team.
• Oversee labs in the absence of the technician in charge as assigned by the supervisor.
• Document laboratory activities.
• Perform other duties related to and necessary for the safe and efficient functioning of the department as assigned.
The Senior CLT may work nights and weekends on a periodic basis as needed by the department.
High School Diploma with a minimum of eight years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate's degree may be substituted for two years' experience and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years' experience. This position also requires the ability to direct, train, and supervise others.
• Master's in biology or related science degree is desirable
• Training and licenses required to conduct jobs as assigned by the department
• Certificate of Fitness (C14) for maintaining a chemical laboratory from the FDNY
• Experience in supporting teaching labs in multiple areas of biology, and the ability to learn and support new areas
• Demonstrated knowledge of equipment used in molecular biology and biochemistry, demonstrated ability to learn the use of specialized equipment, and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills
• Strong time management and organizational skills
Commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu , access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information. Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
Biology Department has openings for both Chief CLT and Senior CLT. Candidates who are interested in applying to both positions will have to apply to each position individually at the same time.
Open until filled with review of resumes to begin May 22, 2019.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.