CUNY Academic Advisor - Nursing Department in Brooklyn, New York
Job Title: Academic Advisor - Nursing Department
Job ID: 20018
Location: NYC College of Technology
New York City College of Technology (City Tech) of the City University of New York (CUNY) is a comprehensive college of over 17,000 students offering associate and baccalaureate degree in technology and health related degree programs, other career-oriented degrees and liberal arts transfer degrees in its Schools of Arts and Sciences, Technology and Design, and Professional Studies. Located in the Metrotech area of downtown Brooklyn, we are the largest public college of technology in New York State and exceptional in that we go beyond traditional class offerings to create a high-tech, hands-on educational experience for our students, preparing them for a rapidly changing world. For over five years City Tech has been among the leaders in the diversity of the students it serves among all Comprehensive Colleges/Bachelor’s (North) in the annual survey by U.S. News and World Report. Students and faculty are from more than 120 countries and speak more than 85 languages, with many students the first in their families to attend college. City Tech employs approximately 1,000 full-time faculty and staff, and over 900 part-time faculty.
The Nursing Department is seeking an Academic Advisor. The Department is in the School of Professional Studies, a multi-disciplinary unit that also includes radiology, human services, dental technology, and vision care. Nursing offers an AAS degree in Nursing and a BS in Nursing completion program.
Reporting to the Department Chair, duties include but are not limited to the following:
• Provide advisement that integrates best practices that support increased retention and graduation rates such as credit momentum and connection to campus resources and opportunities.
• Collaborate with anticipated Associate in Health Science (ASHS) program to provide a seamless transition for prospective nursing students.
• Work closely with Chair to create seamless advising messaging and group advising modules that teach an in-depth understanding of curricular options and course planning
• Work with Chair to analyze recruitment data, predict enrollment patterns and makes adjustments and recommendations accordingly.
• Ensure students are provided with consistent, accurate, and prompt assistance in registration with CUNY first.
• Work with students and Dean’s Office of Professional Studies to resolve academic transfer credit issues.
• Strengthen relationships with strategic partners such as Admissions, Professional Development Center and Financial Aid.
• Work with Chair to prepare reports for regulatory agencies (NYSED, ACEN).
• Work with Chair to develop articulation agreements with other colleges.
• Actively promote accessibility and visibility of advising through public programs and online presence. Advising staff is expected to have staff photo and biography on website, and engage in Skype advising, social media, videos and online tutorials.
• Assist Chair to develop print and online communication materials.
• Work with Provost’s Office to identify Honors Candidates.
• Collaborate with Chair and Faculty to plan and implement bi-yearly pinning ceremony.
Bachelor's Degree required.
• A proven track record of success in student advisement.
• Excellent communication, organization and interpersonal skills with students, staff and faculty.
• Experience working with diverse populations.
• Demonstrated skill with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Demonstrated skill with social media and online communication tools
• Excellent time management skills.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
Assists students with clarifying values and goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
Offers academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
Provides students with effective and timely referral to other college and external support services
Monitors and evaluates students' educational progress by conducting academic progress audits
Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advisor
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Resume and cover letter must be uploaded.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Applications reviewed until position filled.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.