CUNY Academic ASAP Program Director in Brooklyn, New York
Job Title: Academic ASAP Program Director
Job ID: 20927
Location: NYC College of Technology
New York City College of Technology (City Tech) of the City University of New York (CUNY) is a comprehensive college of over 17,000 students in downtown Brooklyn, offering associate and baccalaureate degree in technology and health related degree programs, other career-oriented degrees and liberal arts transfer degrees in its Schools of Arts and Sciences, Technology and Design, and Professional Studies. We are the largest public college of technology in New York State and exceptional in that we go beyond traditional class offerings to create a high-tech, hands-on educational experience for our students, to prepare them for a rapidly changing world. For the last five years City Tech has been among the leaders in the diversity of the students it serves among all Comprehensive Colleges/Bachelor’s (North) in the annual survey by U.S. News and World Report. Students and faculty are from more than 120 countries and speak more than 85 languages, with many students the first in their families to attend college.
City Tech invites applications for the College Director of its Accelerated Study in Associate Programs (ASAP) initiative. ASAP at City Tech currently serves 1300 students across most associate degree granting academic departments, concentrating primarily on those in the STEM areas. Consisting of 20 full-time staff members, it is a comprehensive service area that strategically interacts with areas across the campus to ensure student momentum toward degree and preparation for success post associate degree attainment.
The ASAP Director will report to the Provost and Vice President for Student Affairs. In addition to the CUNY Title Oveview, the ASAP Director's is duities include but are not limited to:
• Developing, assessing and improving a comprehensive program of academic advising, career and professional development, and other support and financial aid services
• Developing, implementing and assessing strategies to improve retention and performance of ASAP students
• Evaluating program services and developing interventions for probation and at-risk students
• Oversee program’s budget and daily administration including scheduling and timely delivery of services
• Establish and maintain relationships across campus to ensure recruitment, advisement, tutoring, professional development and financial aid processes are student focused and inclusive.
• Oversee recruitment of new students into the program on a semester basis
• Prepare reports for CUNY Office ASAP Program and college leadership
• Supervise two Associate Directors who in turn supervise all other staff
• Attend monthly meetings at CUNY Central, and other periodic program events
• Oversee the function of the Math Start Program
• Participate in campus wide collaborations to enhance student experiences
• Other responsibilities as assigned by the Provost and Vice President for Student Affairs
Bachelor's degree (Master's preferred) in an appropriate discipline and eight years related experience.
The preferred candidate will have:
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (oral, written, and inter-personal).
• Demonstrated management and supervisory skills as well as budget oversight and planning experience.
• Strong understanding of the needs and challenges facing students from diverse urban backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, within the department and with faculty and other administrators.
• Strong organization, project management, communication, and facilitation skills.
• Excellent multi-tasking ability and responsiveness to time-sensitive requests.
• Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records of student activities.
• Strong fiscal management skills, including familiarity with fiscal requirements and budgets of special programs.
• Understanding of the organization of public higher education systems.
• Computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office (Access and Excel); and aptitude to learn new systems as needed.
• Familiarity with issues faced by community college/associate degree students, especially in urban settings.
• Experience in a STEM discipline is desirable.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Accelerated Study in Associate Programs (ASAP) helps students earn their college degree as quickly as possible, by removing the financial, academic, and personal obstacles that many students confront. Key ASAP program features include a consolidated block schedule, cohorts by major, required full-time study and comprehensive advisement and career development services. Financial incentives include tuition waivers for financial aid eligible students, yearly textbook vouchers, and MetroCards for all students. Further information is available at www.cuny.edu/ASAP.
The Director oversees all activities related to ASAP and represents the College's ASAP program within and outside the College.
Develops and implements policy to meet the Program's mission, collaborating with other College units
Administers a comprehensive portfolio of services, and assesses the various components of the ASAP program to improve services to students
Provides a highly-supportive environment by overseeing staff such as advisors and job developers and by developing relevant programs, workshops, and activities
Manages tracking, reporting, and analysis of outcomes data, and systems to track and manage individual students' progress
Manages staff and budget consistent with program goals
Performs related duties as assigned
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Open until filled with review of resumes to begin on or after August 16, 2019.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.