CUNY Academic Senior Advisor (HEOa) - 400142 in Brooklyn, New York
Academic Senior Advisor (HEOa) - 400142
Kingsborough Community College
Add to My Favorite Jobs
Kingsborough Community College was founded in 1963 and is one of 23 campuses of the City University of New York (CUNY) system and offers liberal arts education, as well as career training programs. Kingsborough has been named one of the leading community colleges in the country by the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program. It has also earned national recognition for its creative and effective use of learning communities, for the large number of degrees it confers, for the high percentage of graduates who continue their studies, and for the innovative programs that draw thousands of non-traditional students to its campus every year. Kingsborough serves a widely diverse population. Approximately 70% of Kingsborough’s students are enrolled in a liberal arts or science degree program; the rest pursue degrees in more specialized, career-oriented programs such as business, communications, criminal justice, culinary arts, nursing and allied health careers, information technology, journalism, maritime technology, tourism and hospitality, and the visual arts. The college takes pride in its many support programs that enhance student success. All students are offered individual, personal and academic counseling; workshops to improve basic skills; and career planning and placement. Students enjoy the accessibility of Kingsborough faculty and administrators. Kingsborough Community College is seeking to fill an Academy Advisor position within one of our Advisement Academies. Each Academy focuses on supporting student from registration through graduation within a cluster of related majors. The Academy Advisor will work closely with the Academy Director, academic departments, faculty and other members of the college community to provide holistic student-centered advisement to a large caseload of students. The work schedule will be Monday through Friday – at least one (1) day per week from 10:30am-6:30pm and the remaining days from 9am-5pm. Some weekend hours may also be required.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, the Academy Advisor duties will include but not be limited to the following:
· Provide comprehensive advisement for all students regarding their academic plan, course selection, and academic standards
· Manage a caseload of students within the Academy population; ensuring student focused information is shared in a timely, supportive and holistic manner
· Monitor student academic progress toward degree completion, referring student to appropriate campus support services
· Develop and conduct seminars and/or workshops in order to improve student engagement, satisfaction, career exploration, and career preparedness
· Design and implement targeted communication to support the advisement and registration processes.
· Participate in new student advisement and registration
· Collaborate with various areas of Academic Affairs, Enrollment Management and Student Affairs to advocate on behalf of students when necessary
· Work collaboratively with academic departments to ensure updated information is shared with staff and students
· Assist with other related projects as requested
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
The preferred candidate will have:
· Master's degree in an appropriate discipline (ex. higher education, counseling, social work)
· Experience with academic advisement and caseload management strongly desirable
· Strong understanding of the needs and challenges facing students from diverse urban backgrounds
· Strong organization, project management, communication, and facilitation skills
· Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records of student activities
· Understanding of Financial Aid implications on advisement
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Familiarity with Student Development Theory
· Strong interpersonal/human relations skills
· Computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office (Access and Excel); and aptitude to learn new systems as needed
· Knowledge of CUNYFirst (PeopleSoft) and Starfish, helpful
· Ability to maintain ongoing knowledge of academic curricula and college policies
· Ability to work a flexible schedule required, including some evening and weekend hours
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides expert and/or specialized academic counseling a diverse student population.
Offers comprehensive advisement to full-time and part-time students
Works with other academic affairs staff as well as enrollment and student affairs to assist students to declare majors and select appropriate courses
Monitors students' performances and takes appropriate action if necessary; resolves students' problems regarding curricular requirements
Develops academic plans and performs graduation audits
Provides information to students regarding student support services, college policies and program procedures and guidelines
Facilitates workshops; assists with other department activities such as course scheduling
Establishes and maintains student advisement files; prepares activity reports and analyses
May supervise extramural activities, such as internships and community service; may assist with accreditation efforts as needed
May provide career and transfer services and/or specialized program counseling
May supervise junior advising and/or clerical staff
Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Senior Academic Advisor
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$51,242 - $66,670
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Health Plan Coverage for Employees Hired on or after October 1, 2022 City of New York employees and employees of Participating Employers and their eligible dependents hired on or after October 1, 2022 will only be eligible to enroll in the EmblemHealth HIP HMO Preferred Plan and must remain in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan for the first year (365 days) of employment.
After 365 days of employment, the employee will have the option of either remaining in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan or selecting a different health plan within 30 days before the end of the 365th day period.
If a new health plan is selected, the new plan will be effective on the 366th day.
Only after the 365th day can the employee participate in any Annual Fall Transfer Period. An employee who needs to request an exemption from the required enrollment in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan can do so by submitting a HIP HMO Opt-Out Request Form to EmblemHealth. An employee, or eligible dependent, must meet certain criteria and the request must be approved by EmblemHealth before the exemption is granted. The HIP HMO Opt-Out Request Form and HIP service area are available on the EmblemHealth website.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID 26868, or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
June 20, 2023
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.