CUNY Biology Tutors (College Assistant) - Learning Center (Multiple Vacancies) in Brooklyn, New York
Job Title: Biology Tutors (College Assistant) - Learning Center (Multiple Vacancies)
Job ID: 22790
Location: NYC College of Technology
Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
Acts as cashier.
Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The successful candidate will be accountable for the following:
• To tutor students on a one-to-one basis or in a group format.
• To coordinate their work with the other tutors who work in the center.
• To actively participate in all of the Learning Center’s tutor trainings.
• To attend all supervisory meetings and workshops in their academic discipline with the faculty liaison.
• To maintain accurate records for the Learning Center.
• Other duties as assigned by the director.
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
In order to be considered for employment, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
• Must have a B+ or better in general biology courses.
• Ability to maintain a consistent weekly schedule of a minimum of 5 hours for the entire semester.
• Enjoy working with people and have considerable patience when dealing with others.
• Ability to communicate adequately within the academic discipline.
The hourly rate is currently $15.61
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Open until filled with review of resumes to begin September 27, 2021.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.