CUNY College Assistant - College Assistant-(Tutor) Various Departments (Hourly Clerical) – Ongoing Recruitment - 500050 in Brooklyn, New York
College Assistant - College Assistant-(Tutor) Various Departments (Hourly Clerical) – Ongoing Recruitment - 500050
Kingsborough Community College
Add to My Favorite Jobs
Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
Acts as cashier.
Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Kingsborough Community College was founded in 1963 and is one of 23 campuses of the City University of New York (CUNY) system and offers liberal arts education, as well as career training programs. Kingsborough has been named one of the leading community colleges in the country by the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program. It has also earned national recognition for its creative and effective use of learning communities, for the large number of degrees it confers, for the high percentage of graduates who continue their studies, and for the innovative programs that draw thousands of non-traditional students to its campus every year.
Kingsborough Community College is building an applicant pool for existing and anticipated openings during the academic year.
The Kingsborough Learning Center seeks qualified tutors for most KBCC courses (Math, Science, Behavioral Science, Writing and many more) to assist students on a part-time basis.. Tutors will be responsible for providing students with individualized and small group assistance to help them learn concepts and assist with mastering course content. Duties include studying lesson plans, syllabi, and reviewing textbooks to prepare for tutoring session.
• Provide subject-specific content to help students gain course content mastery
• Identify the individual needs of the students. Different students may require different learning methods and it is up to the tutor to identify these needs
• Maintains a growth-mindset toward student learning and teaching practice
• Manage and educate students in a non-classroom setting
• Contribute to student learning, growth, and advancement
• Monitor student performance and assist students in academic environments, such as, Zoom, laboratories, or computer centers
• Collaborate effectively with faculty and the center to increase student performance.
• Participate in mandatory training and professional development seminars to improve tutoring practices and learn new tutoring techniques
• Proficient usage of the KLC tutorial platform
• Track tutoring sessions and input session summary notes
• For writing tutors, ability to guide developing writers as they become their own best readers and editors and strong grasp of the standards of critical reading and writing in an academic setting
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
• Tutors must have a minimum GPA of at least 3.0, in their major and submit his/her transcript
• Demonstrated excellence in the academic subject they plan to tutor in
• Grade of an A or higher in course intended to tutor in
• Some previous tutoring experience
• Faculty recommendation letter
• Provide tutoring in both in-person and virtual formats, sometimes simultaneously
• Associate or bachelor’s degree in Education or subject-matter field preferred, though not required
• Strong verbal and written communication skills to clearly explain course content & concepts
• Inter-personal qualities conducive to one-on-one and small-group interactions
• Resume must demonstrate that applicant meets most of the above competencies
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID 26534, or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
March 15, 2024
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.