CUNY College Assistant- Various Departments (Hourly Clerical) – Ongoing Recruitment - 500050 in Brooklyn, New York
Job Title: College Assistant- Various Departments (Hourly Clerical) – Ongoing Recruitment - 500050
Job ID: 22915
Location: Kingsborough Community College
Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
Acts as cashier.
Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Kingsborough Community College was founded in 1963 and is one of 23 campuses of the City University of New York (CUNY) system and offers liberal arts education, as well as career training programs. Kingsborough has been named one of the leading community colleges in the country by the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program. It has also earned national recognition for its creative and effective use of learning communities, for the large number of degrees it confers, for the high percentage of graduates who continue their studies, and for the innovative programs that draw thousands of non-traditional students to its campus every year.
Kingsborough serves a widely diverse population of approximately 14,000 students. Approximately 70% of Kingsborough’s students are enrolled in a liberal arts or science degree program; the remainder pursue degrees in more specialized, career-oriented programs such as business, communications, criminal justice, culinary arts, nursing and allied health careers, information technology, journalism, maritime technology, tourism and hospitality, and the visual arts. The college takes pride in its many support programs that enhance student success. All students are offered individual, personal and academic counseling; workshops to improve basic skills; and career planning and placement. Students enjoy the accessibility of Kingsborough faculty and administrators.
This posting is open to collect resumes for our ongoing College Assistant recruitment. Applicants should upload their resumes, but be informed that they will only be notified if and when a part-time position becomes available that a Hiring Manager is interested in interviewing them for.
Responsibilities: (Clerical/General Admin.)
• Greets diverse customers, visitors, and others in a professional manner; screens visitors and phone calls as directed; refers people to appropriate staff or to other offices as appropriate; takes accurate and complete messages; forwards messages in a timely manner; maintains bulletin boards/displays, office literature and computer area.
• Responds to routine questions and requests from clients and staff; distributes forms and applications; may review returned documents for completeness; clarifies requests; provides prompt service; explains need for any delays or additional information; keeps visitors, clients and staff informed of progress; returns calls as appropriate.
• Uses standard computer software and other office technology to input, format and transcribe documents and data; makes photocopies and sends faxes; may input and format spreadsheets.
• Maintains paper and/or electronic files using established procedures; retrieves files as requested.
• Performs additional duties as assigned
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Excellent Customer Service, Communication and Organizational skills.
• Ability to take initiative when necessary and willingness to learn.
• Strong computer skills (MS Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint) highly desired.
• Flexible with availability.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID 22915 or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Open Until Filled - Ongoing Recruitment
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.