CUNY Lecturer - Dental Hygiene in Brooklyn, New York
Lecturer - Dental Hygiene
NYC College of Technology
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
New York City College of Technology of the City University of New York (CUNY), a comprehensive college offering 60 associate and bachelor’s degree programs in downtown Brooklyn, invites applications for a full-time lecturer position in the Dental Hygiene Department, to begin in the Fall 2022 semester.
The Dental Hygiene Department offers an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree in Dental Hygiene, which is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). The program prepares students for the evolving needs of the dental profession by offering a two-year full-time program with a comprehensive curriculum encompassing all aspects of Dental Hygiene. The department is considering the development of a baccalaureate program. In filling this position, the department seeks an individual with the skills needed to play an important role in expanding the dental hygiene program.
This is a full-time position that leads to a continuous certificate of employment. The faculty member is expected to be committed to excellence in teaching and contribute to the Dental Hygiene Department, the School of Professional Studies, the College, and the University in service of their missions.
Responsibilites of the full-time lecturer position include teaching courses in the associate degree program. Faculty members are expected to develop and maintain relationships with professional dental organizations and attend educational conferences like the Greater New York Dental Meeting and ADEA conferences. In addition to classroom time, the position entails office hours for student support and advisement and administrative duties within the department to promote curriculum enhancement and program excellence, as well as service throughout the college and university. Weekend and evening hours may be required.
Other duties include:
• Prepare quality course material for lecture and laboratory sessions.
• Evaluate and offering feedback on student projects.
• Prepare students to become the critical thinkers, problem solvers, and lifelong learners before entering the dental hygiene profession.
• Contribute to reaccreditation requirements.
• Participate in ongoing student and faculty recruitment activities such as high school visits, conducting open houses and attending professional activities.
Bachelor’s Degree in Dental Hygiene or a related field, active New York State Dental Hygiene License, active CPR certification for healthcare providers, NYS certification in nitrous oxide analgesia/local anesthesia, vaccinations for healthcare providers as recommended by the CDC, current membership in the American Dental Hygienists Association, and the ability to teach successfully.
• Active progress towards a master's degree related to teaching dental hygiene/ dental public health is a plus.
• Six or more years of full-time professional practice in the clinical management of dental hygiene patients is highly desirable.
• Previous teaching experience.
• The ability to effectively communicate with and the support the needs of a diverse student body and clients.
• Strong skills in educational methodology and ability to teach courses in the core curriculum of the AAS degree program via in person, online and hybrid modalities.
• Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Excellent communication skills and dental hygiene technique.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.
Candidates should provide a cover letter summarizing teaching philosophy, CV/resume, letters of recommendation and NYS professional license.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with review of applications to begin on or after April 21, 2022.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.