CUNY Academic Advising Specialist (Manhattan Hunter Science High School, Division of Student Affairs) in New York, New York
Job Title: Academic Advising Specialist (Manhattan Hunter Science High School, Division of Student Affairs)
Job ID: 22713
Location: Hunter College
Reporting to an Academic Advising Manager at Hunter College, the Academic Advising Specialist will administer and implement all aspects of the Manhattan Hunter Science High School Program at Hunter College. In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, the Academic Advising Specialist will be responsible for the following duties:
• Coordinates programs related to student recruitment, eligibility for enrollment in different types of activities, course placement, attendance, retention, continuity, and program assessment in support of program goals.
• Conducts informational and orientation activities on program policies and procedures for staff, partner high school, students, and parents.
• Provides general advising services to both MHSHS seniors and MHSHS graduates who enroll in Hunter College as freshmen.
• Serves as the primary liaison with administrative and academic staff, student participants, and parents.
• Develops and maintains effective working relationships with the leadership and liaisons at participating high school, Hunter College, and Central Administration to support a superior academic program, increase student enrollment and sustain participation.
• Actively promotes accessibility and visibility of advising through public programs and online presence. Advisor is expected to have staff photo and biography on website, and engage in Skype advising, chat rooms, social media, videos, and online tutorials.
A Bachelor's degree and four years’ related experience (Such as pre-college or related project coordination) required.
• A Master's degree is preferred.
• The preferred candidate will have excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, and time-management skills, as well as a strong work ethic and commitment for success.
• Occasional evenings or weekends may be required.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers an academic advising center or unit.
Collaborates with other academic and administrative offices to maintain a comprehensive academic advisement program
Ensures students are provided with consistent, accurate, and prompt advising services, coordinating with academic departments
Works with students to resolve academic issues, providing information and/or referral
Develops orientation programs to engage and retain students and instructs students, faculty and staff on use of advising technologies
Conducts assessments to strengthen advisement programs
Organizes and facilitates training for faculty advisors
Develops print and online communication materials
May supervise office operations and budget
Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience ($49,253 - $71,112).
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters – also DO NOT USE SYMBOLS (such as accents (é, è, (â, î or ô), ñ, ü, ï , –, _ or ç)).
Candidates must also be prepared to have two letters of reference tendered promptly upon request.
The search will remain open until the position is filled. The committee will begin reviewing complete
applications on September 24, 2021. Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the positions remain open after initial round.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.