CUNY Bursar Operations Assistant (College Assistant-Hourly) in New York, New York
Bursar Operations Assistant (College Assistant-Hourly)
Sch. of Labor & Urban Studies
Add to My Favorite Jobs
Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
Acts as cashier.
Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies (SLU) is the 25th and newest unit of the City University of New York. The School is dedicated to public service and social justice. It offers undergraduate and graduate certificate and degree programs in labor relations, public policy, public administration, health care administration, community studies, community leaders, labor studies, and urban studies. These programs are designed to meet the needs of working adults as well as traditional-age college students who seek to learn more about the challenges confronting poor and working-class populations in the workplace and the community. Its faculty includes distinguished scholars in the social sciences and expert practitioners in government, labor, and public service.
The Office of Student Accounts seeks a part-time Bursar Operations Assistant (College Assistant-Hourly) to support student services, communications, and office activities. Under the supervision of the Bursar or Assistant Bursar, the Bursar Operations Assistant (College Assistant-Hourly) will carry out a range of clerical, administrative, research, and other tasks related to Bursar Operations. Duties will include:
• Serves as a cashier for non-cash financial transactions; processes non-cash tuition payments, including vouchers, within specified timeframes.
• Exhibits a friendly and professional demeanor while providing exceptional customer service to both students and staff.
• Assures timely and efficient resolution of student inquiries, whether received in person or through email or phone, while diligently recording these interactions in the CUNYfirst system.
• Performs routine clerical tasks including answering and managing telephone calls, maintaining records, operating office equipment (e.g., copier), sorting and distributing mail, serving as a messenger, and fulfilling other necessary duties.
• Types various documents such as letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
• Proficiently operates computers, software, and other electronic equipment as required for assigned tasks.
• Assists in statistical and research activities, which may involve data collection, data coding for computer input, data entry, and running computer-generated reports.
• Manages and updates departmental records, such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, calendars, and schedules; may coordinate meetings
• Other duties as assigned.
Note: Flexible part-time/hourly schedule to work some evenings is preferred. This is a hybrid position, with work eligible to be done both remotely and onsite.
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
1-2 years’ experience with secretarial and clerical work, banking, bookkeeping, or customer service.
The hourly rate range for this part-time position is $16.00 - $25.00 per hour. The maximum work schedule is 20-hours per week.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and resume online via CUNY's web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is: You can view and apply for this job at:
Open until filled. Applications are encouraged by November 14, 2023.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.