CUNY Clinical Professor-Medical Series (Organ Systems Co-Course Director) in New York, New York
Clinical Professor-Medical Series (Organ Systems Co-Course Director)
CUNY School of Medicine
Add to My Favorite Jobs
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The CUNY School of Medicine (CSOM) at The City College of New York (CCNY), is the only medical school in the City University of New York system. Our innovative curriculum allows students to complete both their undergraduate Bachelor of Science (BS) and Doctor of Medicine (MD) degrees in seven years. CSOM graduated its first MD class in 2020. The mission of CSOM is to provide access to medical education to talented youth from social, ethnic, and racial backgrounds historically underrepresented in medicine and to develop health professionals committed to practicing in under-served communities with a special emphasis on primary care.
The Department of Medical Education was established in 2013 to oversee, support and enhance the quality of the school's medical education program. The department has primary teaching and administrative responsibility for several courses in the Medical School curriculum, including Practice of Medicine and Organ Systems. The Department of Medical Education is searching for a co-course director who will work together with their fellow course director to direct and administer the Organ Systems course. The Organ Systems course is an eighteen-month long series of modules given in the fourth (M1) and fifth (M2) year of the BS-MD program. The course integrates the disciplines of anatomy, histology, physiology, pharmacology, pathology, microbiology and clinical medicine and covers normal and abnormal processes in organ-based modules.
The successful candidate will hold the title of Clinical Professor Medical Series, a full-time, non-tenure track position in the Department of Medical Education.
• Assisting the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of the Organ Systems course.
• Teach sections related to the co-director's area of expertise or interest.
• Lead/Teach small group sessions including PBL facilitation and clinical skills.
• Participate in ongoing curriculum assessment and teaching in other CSOM courses including Practice of Medicine (POM) courses
• Participate in hiring, faculty development and evaluation for all course faculty, including building relationships with the clinical faculty at CSOM affiliates
• Create and update course materials, including the LEO course website in keeping with the standard of the CSOM courses.
• Create and grade student assessments/exams; generate student final course grades, identify, and set a course of appropriate action for students who are failing or performing poorly
• Collaborate-with relevant faculty, educational committees, and offices on matters regarding course schedule, content, curriculum mapping and course review/evaluation
• Participate in other related CSOM activities including service on committees (e.g., Admissions, Curriculum, Student Promotions, Ethics, etc.)
• Participate in medical education research or other scholarly activities
• Oversee course administrative support staff
• Contribute to the school's diversity, equity, and inclusion goals (https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/csom/deans-initiative).
Individuals appointed as clinical professors – medical series are experienced practitioners or teachers in their professions or fields of expertise. The responsibilities of the position include teaching (including, in some cases, clinical instruction), and may include research. Clinical professors - medical series are full- time, non-tenure track positions.
- Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
The successful candidate will hold a MD, DO, MD/PhD, or PhD in life sciences.
Expertise in clinical applications and experience in collaborating with
clinicians are desirable for candidates with a PhD in life sciences. Applicants should have
demonstrated commitment to building and promoting equitable, diverse, and inclusive academic
environments and must be willing to contribute to the CSOM’s diversity and inclusion goals.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Previous experience as medical school course director/ clerkship director with medical education for at least 5 years is strongly preferred.
Demonstrated excellence in teaching and experience with curriculum development is desired.
Ability to combine administrative, education, and teaching responsibilities.
The person in this position must also possess outstanding communication and leadership skills in working with faculty members at many clinical sites.
The person in this position must also be willing to participate in appropriate academic and scholarly activity to further the institution's contributions to medical education.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension, and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
Salary range: $ 180,000 - 200,000
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and cover letter.
Open until filled, with review of resumes to begin June 6, 2023.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.