CUNY Finance Accountant Assistant (Level 1A) - Student Accounts (Bursar's Office) (Provisional) in New York, New York
Job Title: Finance Accountant Assistant (Level 1A) - Student Accounts (Bursar's Office) (Provisional)
Job ID: 20851
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Under direct supervision, performs bookkeeping, clerical, and sub professional work of ordinary difficulty and responsibility related to college accounting. Such work may be performed utilizing computers and related technology.
There are two Assignment Levels for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments for this position; related duties may be assigned as needed.
ASSIGNMENT LEVEL 1:
As instructed, maintains financial records of contracts, appropriations, allocations, authorizations, and payments and assists in maintaining ledgers of accounts and in performing reconciliations.
As instructed, examines invoices, claims, vouchers, etc.; verifies documents for accuracy by
reviewing supporting data and records and assists in audit functions.
As authorized, receives remittances and payments; makes appropriate disbursements or refunds; keep logs and issues pertinent receipts.
Assists in processing invoices, vouchers, claims, statements, bills, etc.
Perform various calculations and computations, as directed.
Perform other related duties, such as generating reports and producing checks and other financial documents, as required.
ASSIGNMENT LEVEL 1A:
- This assignment level is only for College Accounting Assistants who have achieved the minimum qualification requirements for the title College Accountant, Level 1, but have not been reassigned to duties in that title.
Finance Accountant Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the Associate Bursar, the Student Account Assistant is responsible for the processing of refunds to students as well as the handling of all alternative loan processing.
• Review refunds reports received from the Central Office, including verifying enrollment information, charges and eligibility for Financial Aid.
• Run reports for all refunds deriving from credit cards, tuition and fees and Financial Aid.
• Troubleshoot issues relating to incorrect refund postings, including refunds not being generated automatically or posted for the wrong amount.
• Review accounts where a refund hold was placed to determine eligibility.
• Prepare check requests for refunds to be processed by Cash Management such as Student Housing deposits.
• Download Alternative Loan reports from Sallie Mae for funds transferred electronically and verifies enrollment information, charges and Financial Aid eligibility
• Receive Alternative Loan checks, check eligibility status and notify students to come in and endorse checks.
• Post Alternative loans for eligible students to their CUNY First accounts.
• Work closely with the Financial Aid Office, Registrar’s Office, and Accounting Department.
• Prepare requisitions for transfer of funds as needed.
• Post transfer of funds submitted by the Accounting Office.
• Perform other related tasks assigned by the Enrollment Bursar Director.
ASSIGNMENT LEVEL 1:
A high school diploma or its equivalent, plus
An associate degree from an accredited institution of higher education, AND One (1)year of full-time bookkeeping, figure clerk, account clerk, or similar experience, OR
A comparable combination of experience and education.
Demonstrated English language proficiency (ability to speak, read, write and understand English well enough to meet job requirements).
ASSIGNMENT LEVEL 1A:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education, including or supplemented by at least eighteen (18) credits in accounting and at least six (6) credits in data processing, computer science, finance, banking, economics, taxation, statistics, or similar courses.
Preferred candidates will have excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong skills in software products, including Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word; experience with PeopleSoft Campus Solutions and; excellent organizational, time management and interpersonal skills; and ability to work in a team-oriented environment is essential. Evening and weekend hours sometimes required.
New Hire: $43,613*
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters – also DO NOT USE SYMBOLS (such as accents (é, è, (â, î or ô), ñ, ü, ï , –, _ or ç)).
The search will remain open until the position is filled. The committee will begin reviewing complete applications on August 12, 2019. Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the positions remain open after initial round.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.