CUNY Finance Manager (Budget and Finance) in New York, New York
Job Title: Finance Manager (Budget and Finance)
Job ID: 20849
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Hunter College, located in the heart of Manhattan, is the largest college in the City University of New York (CUNY). Founded in 1870, it is also one of the oldest public colleges in the country. More than 23,000 students currently attend Hunter, pursuing undergraduate and graduate degrees in more than 170 areas of study.
The Department of Budget and Finance, within the Division of Administration, supports the College’s academic goals and research and fosters student engagement and success through the effective management of the College’s resources, assets and business affairs.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Finance and Business Operations, the duties of the Finance Manager encompass primary responsibility for monitoring the College’s expense and revenue budget, including the following activities:
• Oversees the technical and programmatic budgetary activities;
• Research and administer special projects such as reviewing expenditures and allocations for the
College's seasonal budget, given deadlines and time frames;
• Liaison with external finance and budgetary stakeholders
• Estimate fiscal impact of management decisions and City , State, and Federal policies;
• Identify and recommend solutions to operational issues with fiscal impact;
• Review ongoing fiscal requests and formulate appropriate recommendations;
• Manage and expedite all budget modifications and College restructuring or enhancement proposals, ensuring compliance with approved financial plans and cost effective techniques;
• Evaluates and prepares the quarterly expense and revenue financial plans; Review and monitor cost containment programs.
• Evaluate the impact of Federal and State budget policies and legislative proposals;
• Liaise with other finance staff to ensure completion of tasks and duties.
Bachelor’s degree and six years’ related experience required.
The preferred candidate will have Master's degree in Business, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or a field related to the specific assignment and one year of relevant experience or a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two years of full-time experience in budgetary planning/management, financial analysis, public policy analysis or a related field required.
In addition, applicants should have the following preferred skills:
• Must have exceptional organizational, research, and analytic skills;
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including general presentation and financial reporting;
• Able to set and meet pressured deadlines to satisfy budget and financial plan preparation, update and reporting requirements; and to manage multiple, often-competing priorities.
• Must also be reliable, a self-motivator and able to collaborate with and motivate others.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Manages the financial activities of a College or major program.
Advises management regarding funding appropriateness and proposes fiscal solutions to resolve academic and/or administrative issues
Develops and recommends policies and controls to assure the responsible use of resources
Supports strategic planning processes; assesses outcomes and makes recommendations regarding resource allocations
Prepares and manages production of statistical/analytical reports pertinent to financial and operational activities
Assists in developing budgeting policies and procedures, and interprets University-wide policy
Liaisons with auditors and other internal and external agencies as necessary
May negotiate contracts
May hire, supervise and train finance and/or clerical staff and manage related administrative functions
Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Finance Manager
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters – also DO NOT USE SYMBOLS (such as accents (é, è, (â, î or ô), ñ, ü, ï , –, _ or ç)).
The search will remain open until the position is filled. The committee will begin reviewing complete applications on August 21, 2019. Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the positions remain open after initial round.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.