CUNY IT Senior Associate - Level 2 (Systems Engineer) in New York, New York
Job Title: IT Senior Associate - Level 2 (Systems Engineer)
Job ID: 22484
Location: City College of New York
IT Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology. They perform development/programming, communications, technical support, and similar functions in their areas of expertise. Work may include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving problems in highly complex projects.
IT Senior Associates have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group. They demonstrate mastery of technology-related discipline(s) and decision-making ability in area(s) of expertise. They serve as a resource and contribute to policies and technical standards.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full description is available on our web site at https://www.cuny.edu (search for “Classified Civil Service Job Descriptions”).
IT Senior Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Under the direction of the Systems Administration Manager of the City College of New York’s Office of Information Technology (OIT), the Systems Engineer will be a member of the Systems administrator team responsible for developing and maintaining the college’s server infrastructure, accepting responsibility for systems planning, analysis, implementation and maintenance, contingency and capacity planning and quality assurance to meet the college’s technology requirements. Within OIT, he or she will directly manage IT infrastructure resources and projects. Furthermore, he or she may supervise a team of technical professionals, reviewing the quality of work, providing instruction on technical issues, and mentoring.
In fulfilling these responsibilities, the Systems Engineer will collaborate with other IT professionals, in particular other systems administrators, network administrators, developers, IT security administrators and third-party vendors. He/she will also confer with key business users to ensure the developmental and operations systems function within expectations.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Design and ensure high availability and scalability of critical IT systems, including e-mail services, directory services, virtual machine infrastructure, backup storage management, enterprise storage, IP address management, DNS services
• Evaluate, recommend and implement remote learning and business solutions such as portals, virtual desktop infrastructure, gateways, and proxies, for secure use of students, faculty, and staff to access campus resources, including students' physical and virtual computer labs securely
• Serve as advisor to campus research groups as well occasionally assist with troubleshooting technical issues
• Orchestrate desktop management consoles to automate inventory, monitor system performance, orchestrate remote and on premise patching and software development, and implement proactive security measures
• Design and implement multiple systems administration related projects, from inception through implementation, to ensure timely and effective completion in collaboration with the Project Management Office, IT teams, academic division/schools, research areas, and CUNY Central IT
• Evaluate, recommend and implement new system solutions to maintain innovation in campus' technology or replace near end-of-support systems
• Develop scripts to automate systems' processes and streamline operations using Windows PowerShell or other scripting languages
• Ensure compliance with best practices, adhering to federal, state, and university regulations regarding maintenance and security of campus servers for disaster recovery and business continuity
• Train and direct Systems Administration staff as necessary, including defining responsibilities and setting performance expectations
• Respond to cybersecurity incidents, data breaches related to systems managed by the group as required
High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
Demonstrated English Language proficiency
A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
• Administration and maintenance of Virtual Environments – VMware
• Administration and maintenance of Microsoft Exchange and Office 365 Environment
• Administration, maintenance, and integration of heterogeneous Microsoft Active Directory Environment, JAMF, and LANDesk
• Working knowledge of Windows PowerShell and PowerCLI, to be used for automation on Windows computers, VMware virtual machines, VMware hosts, and Microsoft Exchange objects
• Enterprise backup experience
• Architecting, administration, and security of SAN data storage solution
• Experience configuring systems monitoring tools (vCenter Operations Manager, SolarWinds)
• In-depth understanding of Linux, Unix, Windows, and OS X operating systems
• Focus on enterprise level features and a strong understanding of iSCSI technology, TCP/IP communications, switch configuration, and Networked Storage - RAID-level configuration and performance troubleshooting
• Solid communication skills (both written and oral)
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
Click "Search job listings"
Click on "More search options"
Search by Job Opening ID number 22484
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions
June 15, 2021
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.