CUNY Library Manager/Archival Collections Manager (HEA) - Center for Puerto Rican Studies in New York, New York
Library Manager/Archival Collections Manager (HEA) - Center for Puerto Rican Studies
The Center for Puerto Rican Studies (Centro) is a research center dedicated to the study and interpretation of the Puerto Rican experience in the United States. Centro is the primary repository of archival and library materials dedicated to stateside Puerto Ricans. Centro is committed to facilitating research projects useful to those in community organizations, public policy, and academia.
Reporting to the Library Archives Officer and Chief Librarian, specifically, duties include:
• Provide thought leadership and promotes innovation in the management, access and storage of archival holdings.
• Drive result focused solutions and develop strategies to resolve complex problems, balancing customer needs and organizational priorities.
• Actively contribute to the development of organizational and staff capability and contribute to broader information management work within Centro, Hunter College and CUNY and the broader historical preservation sector.
• Primarily assigned to administer Centro's archival program; for example, assigned to manage survey and the acquisition of new collections, accession, arrangement, cataloguing, preservation, exhibition, use of archival materials and the collection of primary data that complements existing and new archival collections.
•Manage the organizing of hundreds of existing oral histories and to make all this content available to researchers, including the development of descriptive guides, the analysis of content and publication of findings in academic outlets, the development of digital products and the application of preservation standards to these collections.
•Manage special projects combining primary and secondary data thematically where archival collections would be contextualized and made available to specialists and the public.
• Donor relations: Develop relationships with perspective donors. Provide guidance through the accession process.
Bachelor's Degree and six years' related experience required; MLS degree and/or Master's in a related field may be substituted for a portion of the experience requirement.
• Experience in conducting and managing archival projects
• Professional experience processing archival collections, and special projects
• Demonstrated understanding of the principles of arrangement and description, and familiarity with archivalstandards, specifically DACS
• Ability to recognize archival preservation issues and to apply basic preservation techniques
• Knowledge of the history Puerto Rican populations and communities in the US
• Working knowledge of English and Spanish languages
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Strong organization and time-management skills; attention to accuracy and detail is essential
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Access and Encoded Archival Description (EAD)
• Experience with archival management software such as Archives Space.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Manages a Library unit or major service area.
Manages one or more services such as Circulation, Access/User Services, or Library Technology
Working closely with the Chief Librarian and faculty, recommends and implements long- and short-term plans for library services
Evaluates innovative technologies, databases, and methodologies, makes recommendations related to same and participates in their acquisition
Participates in acquiring materials in all formats and media
Assists in developing and monitoring Library policies and user service standards
Conducts outreach and training activities related to assigned area(s)
Supervises and/or trains staff, students, and others assigned to the Library
May perform highly specialized work in one or more library disciplines, such as archives, technology and systems, etc.
May serve as Office Manager, managing financial operations and budgets, equipment, technology, security and building maintenance requirements
Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.($67,784 - $107,789)
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online by accessing the CUNY Portal on City University of New York job website www.cuny.edu/employment. To search for this vacancy, click on SEARCH ALL POSTINGS and in SEARCH JOBS field, enter the Job Opening ID number 25406
Click on the "APPLY NOW" button and follow the application instructions. Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should follow the instructions to set up an account.
Please have your documents available to attach into the application before you begin. Note, the required material must be uploaded as ONE document under CV/ Resume (do not upload individual files for a cover letter, references, etc.). The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters – also DO NOT USE SYMBOLS (such as accents (é, è, (â, î or ô), ñ, ü, ï , –, _ or ç)).
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
• A cover letter that includes a complete statement of the candidate's qualifications
• A full resume outlining the candidate's education and relevant experience
• A sample archival finding aid completed by the candidate
• The names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references who are knowledgeable about the candidate's qualifications for this position
Upload all documents as ONE single file-- PDF format preferred.
The search will remain open until the position is filled. The committee will begin reviewing complete applications on December 7, 2022. Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the position/s remain open after initial round.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.