CUNY Medical Librarian (Associate or Full Professor) - Medical Library in New York, New York
Medical Librarian (Associate or Full Professor) - Medical Library
CUNY School of Medicine
Add to My Favorite Jobs
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The CUNY School of Medicine (CSOM) was created as a natural expansion of City College’s Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education program and it is continuing its 40-year mission of recruiting underrepresented minorities into medicine, increasing medical care in historically underserved communities, and boosting the number of primary care physicians. This is an exciting development for students as they are now able to complete in 7 years a B.S. degree at the Sophie Davis Undergraduate Program in Biomedical Education, followed by an M.D. degree at the CUNY School of Medicine. The first class of medical students began on August 15, 2016. CSOM has obtained the provisional accreditation in 2018 and awaits the results of the full accreditation visit in October 2019.
The City College Library and CSOM invite applications for a 12-month tenure-track medical library faculty position at the Associate Professor or Full Professor Rank to develop library services to meet the mission and strategic plan of CSOM, including education, research, clinical care, and outreach. The experienced candidate is expected to integrate the library resources and services into the medical school curriculum. We are seeking a candidate who is able to provide exceptional research support and consultations, collaborate with teaching faculty on assignment and course content, and maintain effective collections in the health sciences disciplines. This position will require experience with the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accreditation standard for library services and resources.
This Medical Librarian (Associate or Full Professor) reports to the Associate Dean and Chief Librarian of the City College of New York (CCNY) Library and works in close consultation with the Dean of CSOM for all programmatic issues and will collaborate with our current Medical Librarian.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Serves as the head of the Medical Library, and is responsible for the direction and the administration of all medical library activities
• Works with administrators and faculty in the School of Medicine to integrate library resources and services into the medical school curriculum to assure that the library collection, services, and programs are meeting the needs of faculty, staff and students.
• Develops new services and supports the outreach programs to the affiliated clinical sites and hospitals
• Provide integrated course instruction, orientation sessions, seminars, library sponsored workshops to support research and evidence-based practice
• Provides instructional support to students as requested by the CSOM administration and/or faculty members
• Conducts expert searches, including systematic and integrative reviews
• Represents the library as an ex-officio member of the School of Medicine Curriculum Committee. Serves on specially appointed committees within the School of Medicine, completing tasks assigned to the committees
• Participates in planning and execution of activities associated with School of Medicine accreditation by the LCME; prepares and represents the medical library during the accreditation survey visit
• Continuously monitor and evaluate usage of library resources and services consistent with current trends and issues in medical education, scholarly communication, copyright, and the changing roles and technologies of academic medical libraries
• Engages in scholarly activities in accordance with the CCNY Libraries and CCNY College standards for promotion and tenure
• Communicate and provide training in the availability and usage of library resources to clinical affiliate faculty, residents, and medical school students.
• Performs other duties related to the medical school as assigned
Librarians support a college library through providing in-depth consultation with students and faculty and collaboration for the ongoing improvement of instructional programs and practices. Pursues an active scholarly agenda, performs supervisory duties, and participates in college-and university-wide programs and committees as assigned.
All titles require a Master's in Library Science (MLS), Master's in Library Information Studies (MLIS), or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution. Also required is the ability to work with others for the good of the institution.
For appointment as Associate, or Full Professor, a second graduate degree is required.
• Five or more years of relevant job experience showing progressive growth in responsibilities in areas relevant to an academic medical library with three years in a supervisory position
• Excellent organizational skills, and effectiveness in balancing multiple assignments and projects
• Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
• Strong leadership skills, and excellent customer service skills
• Experience with data collection, analysis, and metrics reporting
• Membership in the Medical Library Association’s Academy of Health Information Professionals
• Experience assessing student learning and library instruction
• Fluency with emerging library technology and trends, which may include areas of scholarly communication
• Experience with library marketing and outreach programming
• Familiarity with Web accessibility standards
• Proficiency with HTML, CSS, and Web scripting language to customize the medical library website
• Grant writing experience
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension, and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
Salary range: $86,645 - $117,805
HOW TO APPLY
• Click the link "employment"
• Click the link "browse job openings"
• Search for this vacancy using the Job ID 25644
• Select "Apply Now"
• Log in or create a new user account
• Apply for the position
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and cover letter.
Open until filled, with resume review to begin on November 21,2022.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.