CUNY Benefits & Payroll Manager: Human Resources--York College/CUNY in Queens, New York
Job Title: Benefits & Payroll Manager: Human Resources--York College/CUNY
Job ID: 21979
Location: York College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Reporting to the chief human resources officer, the Benefits & Payroll Manager oversees administration of benefits, payroll, and leave administration for the employees of York College. These responsibilities include benefit program functions including enrollment, claims resolution, change reporting, and related functions; ensuring the timely and accurate distribution of pay and deductions, ensuring accurate leave administration and reporting, and supervising unit staff. The handling of confidential information with sensitivity and discretion is essential.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Supervise administration of benefit programs, consult with and advise employees on eligibility for all insurance, pension, TDA, and leave provisions. Oversee and audit enrollment, updates and employee change requests, preparation of correspondence to outside requests such as employment verifications, child support, unemployment, workers’ compensation, etc. Work as liaison between insurance carriers and employees to resolve issues. Communicate important payroll and benefits notifications, reminders, and changes to HR and college staff
• Serve as subject matter expert for Benefits & Payroll functions, systems, legislation, and IRS rules. Oversee administration of benefits and employee insurance plans, medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, STD, LTD, COBRA, deferred compensation, 403B, Paid Family Leave, FMLA, etc. Create, recommend and implement necessary changes to office Benefits procedure and policy
• Oversee management of annual open enrollment, facilitate open enrollment meetings for employees, and ensure accuracy of information submitted to carriers. Oversee scheduling of routine group and individual on-boarding and benefits orientations, as well as individualized benefits consultations, including those requested by unions or college departments. Manage employee onboarding and off-boarding paperwork related to Payroll. Supervise seamless processing of employee leave requests to ensure timely removal and reinstatement to pay status; Review calculations for lump sum payments with employee separations for accuracy.
• Manage benefit enrollment updates; conduct audits to ensure that staff deductions and enrollments are accurately updated; assist Benefits Specialist with troubleshooting Benefit program issues encountered by active and retired employees. Ensure timely filing of all plan compliance documents and university reports; maintain up-to-date records; and stay current on legislation, policies and procedures for all University Benefits programs
• Manage response to Payroll inquiries from employees. Create and develop Payroll processes; oversee daily payroll operations and supervise Payroll Coordinator. Provide oversight for salary advance administration and recoup. Act as liaison with relevant university contacts to resolve payroll-related issues. Provide oversight for college payroll administration duties such as time collection, payroll processing, overtime, pension reconciliation and reporting.
Bachelor's Degree and six years' related experience required.
In addition, applicants with the following qualifications will be STRONGLY PREFERRED:
• Requisite knowledge of all applicable employment and benefit laws and regulations, especially those relating to health benefits, insurance and pension,
Workers’ Compensation and safety. S/he should have the ability to communicate with people in stressful situations both orally and in writing and have relevant experience with a public sector employer.
• Experience in WORD, EXCEL, PeopleSoft, and/or other applicable database programs
• Must have strong organizational skills and be able to consistently meet daily, weekly and monthly deadlines.
Preferred applicants will also possess demonstrated experience and ability in analytical research and report writing, Benefits and Payroll supervisory experience, Workers’ Compensation and/or disability and unemployment insurance experience, and
Certified Benefits Professional (CBP) designation and Professional in Human Resources or Senior Professional in Human Resources (PHR/SPHR) designation.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Manages a portfolio of Human Resources programs and operations at the College level.
Assumes responsibility for delivery of one or more human resources programs, which may include recruitment, performance management, labor relations, pay administration, recordkeeping, and/or human resources technology
Manages staff responsible for carrying out operations in the Human Resources office
Directly supports College department chairs and managers in staff planning, recruiting, hiring, and resolving sensitive personnel issues regarding their employees
Provides guidance on the impact of laws and regulations, CUNY policies, and collective bargaining agreements
Provides outreach to employees and provides communications such as meetings, newsletters, and web sites
Compiles accurate and well-organized reports
Assists management with developing policies, procedures, and programs to support Human Resources' objectives
Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: HR Manager
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (email and telephone). Please upload all materials as ONE DOCUMENT in doc, pdf, or rtf format.
You may only apply online through the CUNY.edu job board.
• Please go to www.CUNY.edu, go to the Employment drop-down menu and click the ‘Search Job Postings’ tab.
• Filter by Job Location by clicking on York College. The title of this position is Student Athletics Director – Job ID #21979. Click on the title to view the entire job announcement.
• Click the ‘Apply Now’ tab and follow the prompts from there, including creating an account or logging into a previously created account.
York College/CUNY is an EEO/AA/IRCA/ADA Employer.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.