CUNY Lecturer - Industrial Design in Queens, New York
Job Title: Lecturer - Industrial Design
Job ID: 21790
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
The Industrial Design Program at LaGuardia Community College is growing and seeks a full-time industrial design lecturer to support and maintain this growth. This relatively new industrial design associate degree program is focused on teaching students foundation industrial design skills that will help prepare them for entry into industrial design employment. This position requires an industrial design lecturer who is focused on teaching students how to develop a human-centered design process, develop compelling product solutions and apply their technical and creative skills to build an exciting visual story about their ideas and designs. In addition to teaching students, the industrial design lecturer will be actively engaged in developing contemporary industrial design skills, build bridges with industries and communities towards student internships and remain actively involved with the grants, research, proposals and applications process. This position also requires administrative input and participation at both departmental and college wide levels including activities such as attending departmental and college wide meetings, collaboration with other departments and meeting with committees and administration staff to realize and build the industrial design program.
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in the field of industrial design is required for this position. A graduate degree in industrial design is highly preferred.
• A minimum of 3 years of recent and relevant professional experience in industrial design corporate environments, industrial design consulting environments or a combination of.
• A minimum of 2 years of university level teaching experience (full-time or aggregate adjunct teaching) in industrial design.
• Experience and proficiency in freehand and digital sketching, craft modelmaking and product prototyping, 2.D. and 3.D. design software applications including Sketchbook Pro, Adobe CS, Rhino 3.D., Solidworks, photorealistic rendering and animation.
• Thorough knowledge of materials & manufacturing processes used in the development, prototyping and production of consumer products.
• Familiarity and experience working with design and manufacturing equipment including 3.D. printers, laser cutters, C.N.C. routers, vacuum formers, table saws, lathes, sanders, drill press, power tools and all associated workshop equipment used for product prototyping and design development.
• Knowledge and experience of sustainable practices and environmental materials applications in the product development process.
• Experience in conducting and interpreting user research, consumer focus group research and business metrics into the product development process.
• A team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to meet deadlines effectively.
• Interdisciplinary design education and experience.
• Knowledge of entrepreneurship and coaching start-up companies and business teams.
• First Aid and advanced safety workshop training.
• A successful track record of bringing products to market from the product research phase through retail sales.
• Experience working with culturally diverse populations.
• Knowledge of robotics, human factors and smart home technologies, Arduino or similar microcontroller software.
• Research methods in design thinking and application in the product development process.
• Ability to recognize and promote design as a tool for social, environmental and economic change towards improving the human condition.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
March 12, 2020
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.