CUNY Veterans Senior Academic Advisor in Queens, New York
Job Title: Veterans Senior Academic Advisor
Job ID: 20695
Location: Queens College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Reporting to the Veterans Support Services Associate Director & ROTC Liaison, the Veterans Senior Academic Advisor is the first point of contact for all military related students and ROTC cadets.The Veterans Advisor will provide academic advisement, registration, and degree planning. This position will interpret transfer credit evaluations, and Joint Service Transcripts to develop an educational plan in accordance with institutional requirements as well as external entities (i.e. Veterans Administration).
The Veterans Senior Academic Advisor will approve all academic courses for GI-BILL recipients to maintain compliance and quality assurance. The Advisor will be responsible for the completion of all US Army - Planned Academic Program Worksheet’s (i.e. 104-R) for enrolled CUNY-ROTC cadets.
Other duties include but are not limited to:
• Assist students define and develop realistic educational career plans through schedule planning for each semester and summer school.
• Ensure incoming and transfer students are adjusting to university academic life through regular scheduled meetings
• Create student plans for the upcoming semesters (or summer) and review/revise long-range academic program schedules.
• Monitor student progress towards educational/career goals and schedule advisement sessions as needed
• Inform and, if necessary, refer students to other institutional resources when academic, attitudinal, attendance, or other personal problems require intervention by other professionals. (e.g., Academic Support Center, Office of Special Services, Writing Center, etc.)
• Liaise with various departments in order to have up-to-date information regarding career and graduate school options
• Interpret and explain policies, programs and on-campus services to ensure student success
• Attend trainings/meetings with Academic Advising Center to stay up to date with policies and procedures
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
• 2 years’ experience utilizing DegreeWorks and or Peoplesoft
• 2 years’ experience obtaining and interpreting Joint Services Transcript – JST System
• Knowledge of GI-BILL benefits in connection to academic advising
• Must demonstrate the ability to maintain a large 100+ student advisement case-load
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides expert and/or specialized academic counseling a diverse student population.
Offers comprehensive advisement to full-time and part-time students
Works with other academic affairs staff as well as enrollment and student affairs to assist students to declare majors and select appropriate courses
Monitors students' performances and takes appropriate action if necessary; resolves students' problems regarding curricular requirements
Develops academic plans and performs graduation audits
Provides information to students regarding student support services, college policies and program procedures and guidelines
Facilitates workshops; assists with other department activities such as course scheduling
Establishes and maintains student advisement files; prepares activity reports and analyses
May supervise extramural activities, such as internships and community service; may assist with accreditation efforts as needed
May provide career and transfer services and/or specialized program counseling
May supervise junior advising and/or clerical staff
Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Senior Academic Advisor
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting on any website other than CUNYfirst, please follow the instructions below:
Go to cuny.jobs
In the box under "job title/ keyword", enter "20695"
Click on "Veterans Academic Advisor "
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
Please note that the candidates must upload a cover letter describing related qualifications and experience, resume, and the name and contact information of three (3) professional references as ONE DOCUMENT in any of the following formats: .doc, .docx, or .pdf format.
**Please use a simple name for the document that you uploaded, for example: JDoeResume. Documents with long names cannot be parsed by the application system.
June 25, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.